Wednesday 17 June 2015

Adsense policies, content ads, and, ad links

My previous two Adsense posts have been somewhat light on blog views, totalling zero, however, undeterred I am persevering, and, thought I would impart the latest I have gleaned about using Google’s monetisation programme.  This time the blog touches on what users should avoid if they do not want their membership suspended, and, the difference between the ad links, and, content adverts.

The main thing from the start is to read the terms of service, and, programme policies for using Adsense, although I do accept that these are not the easiest things to digest, especially for eager people, like myself, who want to start using the service as soon as they have been approved, believing it will be the route to untold riches!  Just to put the record straight on this last statement, I have to say that it is not.  So far to date after nearly two years I have not yet managed to achieve the £10 required for the first address verification payment.  If I ever did pass this milestone I do not believe it will be in my lifetime to achieve the £60 minimum required thereafter!  However, I do accept that this is due to my own inability to write interesting blog posts.

I was first alerted to my shortcomings in observing policies, when I researched various blogs trying to figure out why my posts were not being read.  One the articles mentioned that if you used Adsense, and, didn’t have a privacy policy, Google would be less inclined to rank your blog high up in the search results.  This did prompt me to add a privacy policy to my blog, but I have to admit that this has not made my blog any more popular.  Other policies of areas to avoid relate to invalid clicks, encouraging clicks, content guidelines, and, ad placement, along with a whole host of other areas.

One area that sparked my interest was the actual number of Adsense ads that are allowed in the content of your blog.  You are allowed three units within the content of your blog.  Apparently anymore and these will not display any advertising information, and, just display blank areas.  In addition you are also allowed three ad links.  You can find the code for these in your Adsense “My ads”, and then select “Ad units”.  The choose ad format box usually defaults to the recommended ad units, however, the drop down menu allows you to select the code for ad links.  I have recently adapted my blogs to include three content ads in the main prose of the blog, and, have three ad links on the right side bar.  How well this will work remains to be seen.

A further point of note is that my Adsense account is a hosting account, where I can put adverts on sites that are presently approved by Google (e.g. Blogger).  I am presently thinking about building an e-commerce website using the open source program Prestashop with a domain name owned by myself.  It is my intention to put Adsense adverts on this website, however, I have found out that in order to do this I will have to apply to Google for permission.  I will let you know how it goes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment