Sunday 28 June 2015

Windows 7 failure to load, and, the Blue Screen of Death

Well the fact you are reading this gives a glimmer of hope that I am indeed back online and my computer is functioning once more.  However, a week ago it was a different story.

The desktop PC that I use is nearly five years old, and, as everyone knows, time takes its toll on the humble computer in that for some reason the length of time taken to boot the device takes longer and longer.  I am not 100% sure why this is, but it presumably has to do with the weight of the updates it has to cope with.  It had got to the point where I had to wait at least fifteen minutes from switching on until I could use my PC, and, this was beginning to grate on me.  It just so happened that I was talking about the problem to a friend in the pub, and, he mentioned about defragging the hard drive in an attempt to speed the boot time up.  Armed with this knowledge I defragged the hard drive, and, the process seemed to go very well.

It was not until a couple of days later when I switched on the computer that alarm bells started to ring.  The windows logo appeared as normal, but that was as far as it went, and, to make things worse, after a few minutes the hard disk activity light tailed off, and, hardly registered, indicating that programs were no longer being loaded.  I now know that this is known as “the blue screen of death” (BSOD).  The first time it happened, after about fifteen minutes I just rebooted, and, thought nothing of it, however, after a few times the horror set in.  The worst issue was the loss of the data.  I’m not proud, but unfortunately I was not in the habit of backing my data up.  In addition I do some work for a local club, and, reconstituting this information was filling me with dread at the length of time it would take.

My first thought was to turn to my windows installation DVD.  The computer booted up from the CD ROM, and, I was greeted with the message that windows had not closed down properly, and, the software would seek to rectify this position.  I was given a glimmer of hope.  Unfortunately it was just a glimmer.  After several agonising hours my windows installation reported the problem could not be fixed, and, that a previous point to restore back to could not be found.  Clicking on the finish button at this point just caused the system to close down.  My heart sank, but I tried not to panic.

Thank goodness for mobile phones!  I couldn’t access the internet from my PC, but I could from my phone.  I typed in various phrases about the problems I was having, and, eventually learnt about starting windows in safe mode by pressing the F8 key when the system was starting up.  I did this on my PC, and, after a tense few minutes the system started up in safe mode, much to my relief.  The first thing I checked was that all the data was still their, and, it was.  At this point I transferred all my data files on to a 32GB USB pen drive.  You cannot imagine how relieved I felt.  I had read that in some instances booting up in safe mode had the effect of resetting the files on the computer, which meant that windows would then boot up normally.  Unfortunately this didn’t work in my case and I just encountered the BSOD again, however, I could still boot up in safe mode with networking which also allowed access to the internet.

Even though I had managed now to back up all my data, I was still keen to try and avoid a full installation of windows, and, having to re-install all of my programs.  I read on the internet about booting from the DVD in compatibility mode to fool the system into thinking it was doing an upgrade.  In order to perform this you had to put the DVD in the CD ROM drive holding down the shift key, which prevented the automatic running of a program.  You then had to right click on the setup icon through the file explorer and run in compatibility mode.  This initially seemed to offer some hope, which was dashed when it turned out that compatibility mode would not run in safe mode (which I was still being forced to use).

I finally had to come to terms with the fact the only way I was going to get windows working again, was to do a full re-install, which I presumed would wipe the hard disk of all programs and data.  The time had come to bite the bullet.  I inserted the windows DVD and clicked install now.  The CD drive hummed into life and away we went.

A few hours’ later windows had been installed, and, here is what I found.  All the programs and data (my documents etc.) in the windows directory had been removed.  However, a directory had been created called windows.old.  This contained all my program files, etc.  The program files could not be used, but hidden within this directory were the data files in the documents and settings folder, but, in order to see these in the file browser you had to enable it to show hidden files and directories.  Why this was the case is simply beyond me, as this directory is probably the most valuable, and, in the first instance it is hidden?

One of the big surprises turned out to be that where I had created a directory on the Local disk (C:), this had remained intact along with all the files within.  So as I mentioned earlier I did some work for a local club, and, all the files for this were in the club directory on the C: drive, which had remained intact.  In theory in safe mode I could have just dropped all the files into a backup directory that I had created.  This was especially relevant to some backup data application files I had that were greater in size than 4GB, which the system wouldn’t allow me to copy onto the USB pen as they were above the limit the system could cope with.

The other interesting area related to the Google chrome web browser.  Microsoft Internet explorer lost all my bookmarks and saved passwords, however, when I downloaded Chrome, the installation remembered all my bookmarks and passwords, which was great bonus.

I am currently in the process of re-installing all my applications either from CD’s or downloads via the internet.  The sad thing at the moment is that I cannot find my copy of Microsoft Office, which is one of the programs I use a lot!  If you take one thing away from this blog, remember to keep all your original program/driver CD’s in one place so that if the worst does happen, at least you have all your disks in one place.

The other issue I encountered was the time it takes.  Computers may assist in the speeding up of processes, but my goodness that is one week of my life I shall never get back. 

Oh and one final point, my computer now boots up a lot faster, but, if you ever defrag, for goodness sake back everything up.




No comments:

Post a Comment